Thursday, November 5, 2009

A new piece


I made this necklace last month right after buying the materials. I usually don't do that. I get the supplies and they end up in my stash for a few months but something about the brass leaves really moved me to get going. I will try to find out the artist's name who created the leaves the next time I'm in Fresno. I don't like to leave that out and I'm assuming they weren't mass produced. They feel incredible in your hand with all the detail of the leaf veins.
It was a fun project with kind of a funny twist. Before I attached the crimps and clasp I had one end held together with a piece of scotch tape and the other end with a little metal bead stopper. Well I stood up to hang it around my neck to check length and suddenly felt something moving down the back of my pants. My initial reaction was that it was a bug (I don't know why!) and I began grabbing at my rear trying to get it out and the whole necklace flew off the wires landing scattered in my shag carpet or as I call it: land of the lost. There was no bug...it was the bead stop and it had somehow fallen down my back into my underwear. Luckily I had taken photos of my work in progress as made it and after my son Kody dug all the tiny crystals out of the carpet for me I was able to restring it. Phew!!! Sometimes I am such a spaz. I got busy putting those crimps on and the necklace was saved.
There is a story behind every piece we make and sometimes it happens while we are making it!

No comments:

Post a Comment